Kwalee is one of the world’s leading multiplatform game publishers and developers, with well over 750 million downloads worldwide for mobile hits such as Draw It, Teacher Simulator, Let’s Be Cops 3D, Traffic Cop 3D and Makeover Studio 3D. Alongside this, we also have a growing PC and Console team of incredible pedigree that is on the hunt for great new titles to join TENS!, Eternal Hope and Die by the Blade.
With a team of talented people collaborating daily between our studios in Leamington Spa, Bangalore and Beijing, or on a remote basis from Turkey, Brazil, the Philippines and many more places, we have a truly global team making games for a global audience. And it’s paying off: Kwalee games have been downloaded in every country on earth! If you think you’re a good fit for one of our remote vacancies, we want to hear from you wherever you are based.
Founded in 2011 by David Darling CBE, a key architect of the UK games industry who previously co-founded and led Codemasters for many years, our team also includes legends such as Andrew Graham (creator of Micro Machines series) and Jason Falcus (programmer of classics including NBA Jam) alongside a growing and diverse team of global gaming experts. Everyone contributes creatively to Kwalee’s success, with all employees eligible to pitch their own game ideas on Creative Wednesdays, and we’re proud to have built our success on this inclusive principle. Could your idea be the next global hit?
What’s the job?
You’ll be instrumental in helping teams and departments complete projects that have a huge impact on both internal teams, and the enjoyment of our players.
What you tell your friends you do
“I’m the hub for all the technical projects and the person that makes things happen”
What you will really be doing
- Project managing key technical projects across multiple departments including server, tools and tech, and data science
- Define technical requirements, strategies and roadmaps for projects
- Managing technical and other resources to ensure efficient completion of projects
- Leading and coaching teams at both a technical and personal level
How you will be doing this
- You’ll be part of an agile, multidisciplinary and creative team and work closely with them to ensure the best results.
- You'll think creatively and be motivated by challenges and constantly striving for the best.
- You’ll work with cutting edge technology, if you need software or hardware to get the job done efficiently, you will get it. We even have a robot!
Our talented team is our signature. We have a highly creative atmosphere with more than 200 staff where you’ll have the opportunity to contribute daily to important decisions. You’ll work within an extremely experienced, passionate and diverse team, including David Darling and the creator of the Micro Machines video games.
Skills and Requirements
- Several years experience in a technical leadership / Technical Director role
- Familiar with a wide range of technology stacks and frameworks
- Excellent project management skills and experience
- People and team management skills
- We want everyone involved in our games to share our success, that’s why we have a generous team profit sharing scheme from day 1 of employment
- In addition to a competitive salary we also offer private medical cover and life assurance
- Creative Wednesdays! (Design and make your own games every Wednesday)
- 20 days of paid holidays plus bank holidays
- Hybrid model available depending on the department and the role
- Relocation support available
- Great work-life balance with flexible working hours
- Quarterly team building days - work hard, play hard!
- Monthly employee awards
- Free snacks, fruit and drinks
We firmly believe in creativity and innovation and that a fundamental requirement for a successful and happy company is having the right mix of individuals. With the right people in the right environment anything and everything is possible.
Kwalee makes games to bring people, their stories, and their interests together. As an employer, we’re dedicated to making sure that everyone can thrive within our team by welcoming and supporting people of all ages, races, colours, beliefs, sexual orientations, genders and circumstances. With the inclusion of diverse voices in our teams, we bring plenty to the table that’s fresh, fun and exciting; it makes for a better environment and helps us to create better games for everyone! This is how we move forward as a company – because these voices are the difference that make all the difference.
Kwalee is one of the world’s leading multiplatform game developers and publishers, with well over 900 million downloads worldwide for mobile hits such as Draw It, Teacher Simulator, Let’s Be Cops 3D, Airport Security and Makeover Studio 3D. We also have a growing PC and Console team of incredible pedigree that is on the hunt for great new titles to join TENS!, Eternal Hope, Die by the Blade and Scathe.
Everyone contributes creatively to Kwalee’s success, with all employees eligible to pitch their own game ideas on Creative Wednesdays, and we’re proud to have built our success on this inclusive principle.
We have an amazing team of experts collaborating daily between our studios in Leamington Spa, Lisbon, Bangalore and Beijing, or on a remote basis from Turkey, Brazil, Cyprus, the Philippines and many more places around the world. We’ve recently acquired our first external studio, TicTales, which is based in France.
We have a truly global team making games for a global audience, and it’s paying off: - Kwalee has been voted the Best Large Studio and Best Leadership Team at the TIGA Awards (Independent Game Developers’ Association) and our games have been downloaded in every country on earth - including Antarctica!
We're a game developer and publisher, with most of our games on mobile and some on PC & Console too. We love making games and have had over 900 million worldwide downloads.
· Oversee the workflow and the workforce involved in the entire software development process
· Responsibilities include creating strategies for optimal performance, coordinating with different teams and departments to identify strengths and weaknesses, implementing training and workshop programs, and liaising with external agencies, including key clients
- Key Accountabilities
· Pioneer and drive Agile development practices, leading sprint teams and backlogs
· Provide guidance to the team and ensure they adhere to development standards
· Ensure team structure is optimized, and resources managed, to facilitate efficient project delivery - seamlessly integrate, mentor, and manage internal (remote) and external teams (contractors), continually monitoring quality and effectiveness
· Innovation and product development – generate and facilitate ideas development, requirement gathering and user evaluation to continually develop new and exciting features and value add services
· Balance competing priorities – have a good understanding of software technical debt and ensure we've got the right balance between paying it down, delivering new projects and offering outstanding customer support
· Create and/or refine lean processes to ensure effective, scalable, and profitable workflows – identify and analyze problems and implement solutions. Ensure consistent and iterative delivery of high-impact, high-quality work
· Ensure that the business objectives and customer requirements are at the heart of all processes and projects
· Take part in deep-dive troubleshooting exercises - drive technical post-mortem discussions to identify the root cause of complex issues and implement appropriate solutions
Designers & Developers
· Manage a team that designs, develops, troubleshoots, and debugs software and is the go-to team for all aspects of maintenance starting with resolving software bugs, managing delivery of software and working on customer escalations
· Work with product managers, designers & developers to translate internal and external customer and market requirements into a system, product, and technology roadmaps
Vendor Sourcing & Management
· Manage relationships with various technology vendors and contract agreements to ensure technically and economically efficient products and services are provided
· Ensure new application upgrades or transformation are compliant with current applications, commercials involved in their upkeep and overlook the future need of applications and their upgrades from software development perspective
· Ensure availability of in-house applications to business/ functional users as per requirement
· Ensure that in-house application related incidents, events, problems, and service requests get closed in an efficient, consistent manner per the committed SLAs
- Skills Required for the role
Strong leadership capabilities
Excellent client/customer service mindset
Excellent written, interpersonal, and verbal communication skills
Project Management and Delivery skills
IT Product development knowledge
Analytical and inquisitive, with excellent attention to detail
Strong stakeholders’ management skills
Ability to multi-task and stay organized in a dynamic work environment