Production Support Engineer
GradRight is India’s fastest growing ed-fin-tech startup focused on global higher education. Using data science, technology and strategic partnerships across the industry, we enable students to find the “Right University” at the “Right Cost”. We are on a mission to aid a million students to find their best-fit universities and financial offerings by 2025.
Our flagship product - FundRight is the world’s first student loan bidding platform. GradRight won the HSBC Fintech Innovation Challenge supported by the Ministry of Electronics & IT & was among the top 7 global finalists in The PIEoneer awards hosted by The PIE News, UK. In a short span, we have received $ 450 million dollars in loan requests and facilitated disbursements of more than $ 80 million in loans this year and we are poised to scale up rapidly. We are launching the second product - SelectRight as an innovative approach to college selection and student recruitment for students and universities, respectively. The product rests on the three pillars of data science, transparency and ethics and hopes to create value for students and universities.
The core team of GradRight has significant domestic and international expertise in setting up, managing and working in higher education institutions. The team members are passionate about making a difference to students and universities in the sector.
As a production support engineer, you will be responsible for keeping the lights on for our production infrastructure and supporting all stakeholders (customers & internal teams) around their IT and product usage/configuration needs. You’ll own incident response management and work with various stakeholders to solve production issues. You’ll also work with product teams to help improve products based on your feedback.
- Attend meetings with stakeholders to analyze, troubleshoot and diagnose product related problems
- Own production data, support stakeholders with updates of data that can’t be edited via our administrative tools
- Manage escalations to the engineering team and own the entire issue resolution workflow
- Identify product improvement opportunities and work with product/engineering teams to implement them
- Track metrics related to product performance and identify areas of improvement
- Act as the initial point of contact for all IT related concerns
- Create and maintain training materials and documentation pertaining to troubleshooting and usage of our applications
- At least 2 years of experience working in a technology environment with microservices architecture
- At least 1-year experience in incident management and stakeholder support
- Experience with MongoDB and its related UI tools
- Experience with writing SQL or NoSQL queries to get relevant reports
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent debugging skills
- Prior experience with BI tools (PowerBI, Looker), monitoring tools (NewRelic, Crashlytics, etc) is a plus
- DevOps experience is a plus
Subodh PopalwarSoftware Engineer, Memorres
Gradright is an ed-fin start-up aiming to foster accountability and create a long-lasting impact in global higher education using the power of technology, data science and collaboration. Our mission is to aid a million students in making rational and informed decisions about their universities and finances by 2025 and help them in pursuing their passion without unnecessary financial burden.
Roles and Responsibilities
Build database systems of high availability and quality depending on each end user’s specialised role
Design and implement database in accordance to end users information needs and views
Define users and enable data distribution to the right user, in appropriate format and in a timely manner
Use high-speed transaction recovery techniques and backup data
Minimise database downtime and manage parameters to provide fast query responses
Provide proactive and reactive data management support and training to users
Determine, enforce and document database policies, procedures and standards
Perform tests and evaluations regularly to ensure data security, privacy and integrity
Proven working experience as a Database Administrator
Hands-on experience with database standards and end user applications
Excellent knowledge of data backup, recovery, security, integrity and SQL
Familiarity with database design, documentation and coding
Previous experience with DBA case tools (frontend/backend) and third party tools
Problem solving skills and ability to think algorithmically
Degree in a computer discipline or relevant certification
• Make decisions and resolve issues regarding objectives and operations of the fleet assets
in the database management area to meet business objectives.
• Prepare reports on database scalability and capacity planning as needed.
• Lead team to achieve objectives.
• Interpret and develop policies and procedures for functions with low to moderate complexity within scope of responsibility.
• Mentor and guide talent development of direct reports and assist in hiring talent.
• Work closely with the product development team from the design phase of application & throughout their Agile development journey, the future enhancements & releases
• Participate in the application stress/load test & proactively identify & resolve the DB performance (batch/OLTP) issues that can potentially breach the SLA’s when the code
moves to production
• Highlight the new DB features to the product teams that could be used in the application as future enhancements & releases
• Support the Database Migration, Upgrades as part of Technology Life Cycle Management to be compliant with organization standards
• Provide DB Capacity Analysis & provide insights to product teams on future storage & hardware requirements based on the current data growth & overall performance
• Identify aging data, propose/develop/implement data archiving, purging & partitioning solutions to manage the data growth
• Handling Database/Schema Refreshes for the lower database environments
• Understand the RTO/RPO requirements for the application & databases to define the database backup and restore policy
• Managing Database Security Audit violations & resolving them
• DB User/Access/Roles management
• Troubleshooting & fixing production DB/SQL performance issues
• Providing Oncall support, working with vendor on DB issues, bugs & provide solution
• Schedule and Co-ordinate various maintenance activities with Support teams.
• Collaborate and influence all levels of professionals including more experienced
• Work on any new DB technology/new-features, POC requirements from application team
• Help the application team in migrating their databases to public cloud (AWS).
• Establish performance standards, evaluate performance, train, and mentor team.
• Evaluate the database configuration and processes according to established policies and procedures of the organization.
• Identify and recommend opportunities for process improvement and risk control development.
• 6+ years of DBA experience on SQL or NoSQL DB with performance Tuning
• 4+ years of experience in managing other databases like MS SQL Server, MySQL, PostgresDB & RDS on AWS.
• Hands on experience with NoSQL/Document databases and their administration.
• Experience on automation using any programming or scripting language.
• Should have at least one RDBMS certification.
• Hands on experience with Always on and High availability DBs.
• Hands on with SQL and NoSQL Database.
• Excellent understanding of the MongoDB installation, configuration, maintenance, security and audit logging.
• Experience with performance tuning and managing 1TB of Data
• Experience in backup/recovery procedures.
• Good understanding on Access Methods, Joins, different Indexes & its usage, Index scans, interpreting EXECUTION PLANS, Table/Index Statistics, Histograms, wait events etc
• Strong on PL/SQL Programming.
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
• Problem-solving and good analytical skills
• Communication, teamwork and negotiation skills
• Ability to work in tight deadlines under pressure
• Flexible and adaptable to changing business/technology requirements
• A sense of ownership that drives quality in everything you do
• A forward-looking attitude that keeps you aware of the latest in database & cloud technology space.
• AWS/Azure/OCI cloud Certified
• Working experience on Snowflake Cloud Datawarehouse DB
• Python Programming for Automation for building dashboards
• Basic knowledge on Tableau/PowerBI for reporting.
• Finished Bachelors or Masters in Software Engineering.
• Preferred: BE/ B. Tech. / MCA / MSc. / BSc
- Create and maintain all databases required for development, testing, and 24x7 production usage. Excellent knowledge and hands-on experience in MySQL and MongoDB and InnoDB clusters.
- Expertise in MongoDB, MySQL backup, restore, replication will be
- Hands-on Experience in database backup, partial restore, data recovery, upgrades, and migrations
- Experience using AWS RDS, DMS, and CloudWatch·Excellent hands-on experience in Database installs, upgrades, replication setup, backup, and recovery.
- Experience in using database-monitoring tools.
- Should be good at performance tuning and capacity planning.
- Should be good at providing high availability and disaster recovery solutions.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Knowledge of NoSQL stores (MongoDB, Cassandra, Redis, etc) is a plus.