Principal Engineer - IoT @REBEL FOODS
We are surrounded by the world's leading consumer companies led by technology - Amazon for retail, Airbnb for hospitality, Uber for mobility, Netflix and Spotify for entertainment, etc. Food & Beverage is the only consumer sector where large players are still traditional restaurant companies. At Rebel Foods, we are challenging this status quo as we are building the world's most valuable restaurant company on the internet, superfast.
The opportunity for us is immense due to the exponential growth in the food delivery business worldwide which has helped us build 'The World's Largest Internet Restaurant Company' in the last few years. Rebel Foods current presence in 7 countries (India, Indonesia, UAE, UK, Malaysia, Singapore, Bangladesh) with 15 + brands and 3500+ internet restaurants has been build on a simple system - The Rebel Operating Model.
While for us it is still Day 1, we know we are in the middle of a revolution towards creating never seen before customer-first experiences. We bring you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to disrupt the 500-year-old industry with technology at its core.
We urge you to refer to the below to understand how we are changing the restaurant industry before applying at Rebel Foods.
https://medium.com/faasos-story/winning-the-last-frontier-for-consumer-internet-5f2a659c43db" target="_blank">link 3
https://medium.com/faasos-story/winning-the-last-frontier-for-consumer-internet-5f2a659c43db" target="_blank">link 4
Engineering History @ Rebel
In order to understand more about the challenges that you might face at Rebel, it’s important that we go back to the inception and get acquainted about our journey to date. From the times when excel sheets served as our POS system at stores having one brand, to our evolution as a company that uses smart kitchens - we have traversed the phone, web, and app channels over time. From being a single brand restaurant, we moved to be a parent company with a dozen restaurant brands under the umbrella, while simultaneously moving our operations from a single kitchen to more than 300 locations across 30 cities in India and in a few international locations. The team of engineers at Rebel has built one of the most unique platforms in the world that can not only help operate a kitchen with multiple brands but also aids in operating business at scale. To give you additional perspective, the team has built more than 40+ products in the last 4.5 years. The innovation spans through technologies like polygon architecture (dynamic delivery radius) for a multi-brand operation from a kitchen, to managing each step of the kitchen ops — queuing, load/prep time, batching of orders, out of the door algorithms; inventory prediction based on consumption data, personal recommendation engine, deep integration with every aggregator, last-mile delivery app, CRM systems, multiple brand websites and apps, reporting and analytics systems, and more. Everything that was mentioned has been built on a tech stack developed by our Engineers. This enabled us to tackle the massive complexity of a multi-brand operation while keeping all parts of the business supremely efficient and optimized.
Future of Engineering @ Rebel
We are now building Engineering 2.0 at our company. The vision is to make technology the Brain (AI, Machine Learning, analytics to drive every business decision of the company), the Body (robotics led automation at our Kitchens, driving tremendous operational efficiency), and the Mind (building an AI/ ML-driven virtual personal butler for customers across app, web, and voice, like Netflix of food) at Rebel. This will mean working across technologies and product/engineering teams to build solutions that would be “first - time” in the world. Engineering @ Rebel will break new grounds.
You will be a senior member of the Rebel IoT platform development team. As a Principal Engineer-Internet of Things, you will be responsible for the design and implementation of a highly scalable and distributed big data warehouse and analytics platform using the latest cloud based technologies. You will be involved in designing a multi-tenant, highly scalable, big data analytics platform using AWS technologies. You will lead the overall design and architecture of core platform services of Rebel IoT platform ensuring it supports horizontal scaling to support data I/O for thousands of IoT devices in the kitchen.
- Architecture, design and development of a multi-tenant and big data ingestion and processing platform using the latest AWS technologies.
- Partner with other teams and development leaders to ensure overall architecture and design are aligned with cloud development best practices.
- Work closely with development teams working on vertical applications that use the platform core services.
- Develop platform core services that makes vertical application development faster and consistent with the overall design of the entire ecosystem.
- Work with product managers and stakeholders to set strategic direction for the platform.
- Work with 3rd party partners and cities to build solutions and integrate with the core platform services.
- Develop API and support 3rd party development ecosystem for partners to develop applications on top of the platform.
You’ll need to have:
- Bachelor's degree or 6 or more years of work experience.
- Six or more years of experience in software development.
- Three or more years as technical lead or architect designing and building distributed systems and cloud services
- Experience with building scalable ingestion and data processing applications
- Experience in one or more cloud providerslike GCP, AWS or Azure
- Experience in IOT
Even better if you have one or more of the following:
- Three or more years of in-depth experience of AWS technologies.
- Three or more years of experience developing multi-tenant and high throughput data ingestion on public cloud.
- Strong foundation skills in Java, NodeJs
- Experience developing in one or more SQL or NoSQL databases.
- Experience debugging and monitoring cloud applications using Graphite/Grafana, ELK, Google Prometheus, Datadog.
- Ability to make meaningful technical and business trade-offs with extensive knowledge of architectural patterns for scalability, technologies and approaches.
- Proven track record of leading a development team, collaborating with product managers, architects and designers in delivering products on time using Agile.
The Rebel Culture
Finally, but most importantly, Rebel is not a usual workplace. The following slides will give you a sense of our culture, how Rebel conducts itself and who will fit into the company. Please go through it before you make your mind up. It’s not everyone’s cup of tea.
About Rebel Foods
At Rebel Foods, we are challenging this status quo as we are building the world's most valuable restaurant company on the internet, superfast. The opportunity for us is immense due to the exponential growth in the food delivery business worldwide which has helped us build 'The World's Largest Internet Restaurant Company' in the last few years. Rebel Foods current presence in 7 countries (India, Indonesia, UAE, UK, Malaysia, Singapore, Bangladesh) with 15 + brands and 3500+ internet restaurants has been built on a simple system - The Rebel Operating Model. While for us it is still Day 1, we know we are in the middle of a revolution towards creating never seen before customer-first experiences. We bring you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to disrupt the 500-yearold industry with technology at its core.
Here, at Rebel Foods, we are using technology and automation to disrupt the traditional food industry. We are focused on building an operating system for Cloud Kitchens - using the most innovative technologies - to provide the best food experiences for our customers.
We are in search of a young and energetic team lead for our engineers with 3-4 years of experience. Technical prowess in the below areas are must haves
- Full stack development experience in Java/NodeJs backend with React/React Native front end
- Experience in working with Git flow, unit and end-to-end test cases. CI/CD pipelines and deployment to AWS infrastructure
- Proficient in designing and building webapps/mobile with structured/unstructured database systems
- Have an eye for detail and advocate for a good end user experience
- Exposure to agile development
If you have team leading experience under your belt, that would be a plus. Candidates need to have good communication skills (verbal and written), be proactive and have a go getter attitude. On the job, you will have to
- Ensure the business requirements are met with respect to functional and technical specifications established
- Guide, mentor, and help out younger team members
- Do code reviews and ensure there are minimal to no tech debts
- Design and review technical architecture, unit test cases and CI CD pipeline
- Collaborate with designers, business analysts, and contribute to product development at the organizational level
- Test and deploy solutions and work with our QA team to squash those nasty bugs
- Iterate and improve code design and clear off technical debt such as test coverage and technical design improvements
You will be part of the core team that builds platforms that could transform the lives of frontline workers around the world.
Exp : 10+ Years
Location : Bangalore
Skills : Java, Spring, Spring Boot, Microservices, Kafka, Event Driven Architecture
What you must know?
Hands on technical experience with architecting and building a large scale product
, He/She should have flair for technology & business, be eager to take up challenging
assignments in global setup and have relevant experience working with b2b startups in
growth stage targeting global markets based out of India.
Roles & responsibilities
• Lead a team of talented 10+ engineers (developers and QA) through all stages of product
development and delivery ( requirement gather, requirement detailing, design,
development, testing, release )
• Hire, mentor and develop engineers to create high-performing teams
• Identify, coach and retain engineering talent and strengthen software development teams
• Provide constructive feedback and mentor team members to go to next level
• Build and maintain good relationship with peers, product management, architects,
customer support, HR, talent acquisition team and other cross-functional teams
• Work closely with engineering leaders and product managers for product delivery
• Contribute in engineering management team activities like, hiring, onboarding,
performance appraisal, skill management,release planning and delivery etc.
• Provide technical leadership to software engineers to build a high quality software product
• Collaborate with Internal/external stakeholder to enhance the quality of engineering
• Establish and promote a culture of excellence with end-to-end ownership for delivery
• Ensure complete solution design in collaboration with product management, architects
and technical leads
• Participate in the creation of engineering roadmap based on organization strategy
• Drive execution of quarterly releases and a roadmap of next year.
• Analyze customer issues, suggest and implement a practise to address and improve
customer satisfaction about the product
• Hands on coding and contribute in code reviews
• Identify,develop and improve engineering practices for development, QA, devops and agile
• Build and monitor team performance metrics.
What will qualify you for this role?:
• 13+ years experience with 2+ years in managerial capacity leading a team of 10+
• Hands on technical experience with architecting and building a large scale product
• Experience with modern devops tools and technologies
• Proactive and solutions-oriented with experience in working in ambiguity
• Excellent coding and debugging in one of the languages java/python/React
• Good understanding of distributed architecture, microservice etc
• Familiarity with cloud infrastructure. Knowledge of AWS would be an added advantage.
• Experience with setting up/tracking engineering matrices
- Key Technical Skills: Deep experience on Performance Engineering with understanding of Java/J2EE technologies.
- Experienced in defining and realizing end-to-end Technical Architecture for large scale real- time enterprise Ability to identify and define non-functional requirements and design systems to meet the same.
- Ability to review existing Architectures and identify Risks, Trade-offs, and share recommendations for addressing the identified
- Demonstrate strong understanding of cloud architecture considerations when scaling and tuning application deployments. Must have hands on experience working on any of the Cloud deployments on AWS or
- Good experience on leveraging APM tools to provide deep dive analysis on performance problems. Deep understanding of the dashboards which can be built for CIO level interactions. Must have relevant experience on APM tools like Dynatrace or AppDynamics.
- Experience in performance optimization of J2EE systems on any of different types of application servers - WebLogic, WebSphere, JBoss etc. Deep expertise in any one of the application servers is a
- Experience in creating and reviewing technical documents like Architecture blueprint, Design specifications, Deployment
- Experience on working on Performance Testing Projects. Fair understanding of Performance Testing tools - Apache JMeter /Gatling/ HP Load Runner for Load testing. Must be in a position to review Performance Testing programs and steer directions towards right Workload Model, appropriate Test and Monitoring Strategy, build performance models and derive at right Capacity Planning.
- Experience in Big Data Analytics like - Apache Kafka, Apache Storm, Apache Hadoop, Apache
- Good skills in RDBMS like: Oracle, MS-SQL, MySQL, Cassandra, and Mongo DB
- Exposure to Agile methodologies & Continuous Integration Tools
- Entrepreneur / Intrapreneur (someone who has built technology teams ground-up, built new solutions from scratch)
- Very sound understanding of technology and have a consultative
- Sound understanding of complex enterprise IT environment and issues faced by CIOs in the digital
- Excellent Pre-sales experience and have played a key role in winning business along with the sales
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, liaison and problem-solving skills with the ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Good negotiation skills
- Go getter and results oriented
- High energy level with ability to work well under pressure
- Good relationship building skills. Someone who enjoys CIOs trust and has an ability to develop relationships at all levels (technology teams) of the customer
- Managing small to medium teams with a focus on performance and talent retention
- Participate in creation and execution of product and technology roadmap with stakeholders.
- Collaborate with product managers and other leads/architects for building and delivering projects
- Ownership of front-end and back-end development work carried out with reusability, scalability, and testability of the projects
- Hire and mentor junior team members and coordinate their training
- Coordinate with external stakeholders for new integrations and tools
- Review and update policies relevant to internal systems and equipment and stay compliant with security regulations
- Monitor reliability and performance of all customer-facing and internal projects
- Manage software development projects by setting requirements, goals, and timelines
- Work experience as an engineering manager or in a similar senior-level position at an engineering department
- Experience in the Fintech space
- Extensive experience with cloud technologies (AWS preferred) and server-side technologies (Java preferred)
- Hands-on experience in back-end and front-end development
- Good understanding of SDLC using agile methodologies (SCRUM / Kanban / SAFe)
- Leadership abilities with a strategic mind
- Excellent project management skills
- BSc/MSc in Engineering, Computer Science or relevant field
About The Role:
You'll grow and mentor an engineering team in the Hyderabad office, responsible for developing the external platform that ties Notion to the entire ecosystem of 3rd party applications, ranging from core Notion concepts to tighter bespoke integrations. You’ll work with your team to ship key platform features to all Notion users, from individuals to large enterprises. You’ll facilitate the collaboration of the team with the Notion San Francisco / New York offices, leveraging your technical judgment, managerial experience, and command of engineering best practices to collaborate and deliver high quality, effective, and delightful software.
What You'll Achieve:
- You'll recruit, coach, and develop a diverse and inclusive team of engineers; you'll ensure your team is regularly receiving feedback and making rapid progress on personal and professional goals.
- You'll facilitate planning—the prioritization, sequencing, and staffing of work—for your team.
- You'll ensure your team builds, ships, and maintains powerful and engaging features for a global Notion user base.
- You'll collaborate closely with peers from other functions—Marketing, Partnerships, Support, and Sales, to name a few—on our overall platform strategy, ongoing maintenance and support, and rolling out features to a broad set of audiences: third-party developers, integration partners, enterprise customers, and end users.
- You'll play a key role in shaping how Notion Hyderabad’s engineering office operates —you’ll bear responsibility for continuously improving our technical practices, recruiting and onboarding strategy, planning and prioritization process, and more.
Skills You'll Need to Bring:
- You are able to create team environments that are at once collaborative, empowering, supportive, and challenging—ones where engineers do their best work.
- You have a sufficiently deep background in product and technology that you can ask the right questions of your team, balance product, tech, and people concerns, and make hard tradeoffs.
- You are able to coordinate goals and projects that depend on a global engineering team, and drive towards a high quality bar.
- You have a high tolerance for ambiguity and change - you enjoy jumping into whatever areas need attention and learning as-you-go.
- You value empathetic and direct communication, particularly when giving and receiving feedback.
Nice to Haves:
- You have managed engineering teams at startups before, particularly during periods of rapid growth and organizational change.
- You have experience working on public-facing APIs, app ecosystems, and developer-facing products.
- You've heard of computing pioneers like Ada Lovelace, Douglas Engelbart, Alan Kay, and others—and understand why we're big fans of their work.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Notion.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.
- You will help hire, train, mentor and lead a team of highly capable engineers. You will also help in the development of the company's scalable microservices platform and geospatially-aware applications across multiple industries and form-factors.
- In this role, you must be able to multitask, quickly adapt to new development environments, learn new systems, create reliable/maintainable code, and find creative and scalable solutions to difficult and complex problems.
- You take pride and ownership in your work as well as the overall contributions of your team. You must also have the ability to take a system-wide understanding, recognize the use of system components and disparate technologies and be able to diagnose and debug components across an entire system.
- Your ability to communicate clearly and concisely (both written and verbal) is key, as is being a self-starter.
Primary Responsibilities :
- Build, train, mentor and lead a cross-functional agile team
- Help design, architect and develop advanced software solutions supporting multiple projects and initiatives
- Collaborate with product owners and/or the business on requirements definition, development of functional specifications, and design
- Collaborate on or lead the development of technical design and specifications as required
- Establish and lead best practices in software engineering
- Mentor and grow new employees on your team
Skills & Requirements :
- Bachelor's Degree required, preferably in Computer Science or a related field
- 3+ years as an engineering lead or manager
- Experience with cloud technologies (AWS) and containerization
- Experience with a microservices architecture
- Excellent communication, collaboration, reporting, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Experience with PostgreSQL or other Relational Databases
- Test-driven development mindset and a focus on quality, scalability and performance
- Strong programming fundamentals and ability to produce high-quality code
- Take the microservices architecture to the next level of scalability, efficiency, observability, and availability.
- Build, deploy & run multi-homed systems that work in multiple regions and cloud providers.
- Build (and open source) data processing, storage and fetch systems at the petabyte scale with the lowest cost/GB while still responding in milliseconds at the 99th percentile.
- Optimize algorithms which influence personalization, fulfillment/allocation, pricing, maps & routing, fleet positioning, payments, fraud prevention etc
- Create platforms, reusable libraries, and utilities wherever applicable
- Write high-quality code that is modular, functional and testable; Establish the best coding practices
- Formally mentor junior engineers on design, coding, and troubleshooting
- Troubleshoot issues effectively in a distributed architecture
- Communicate, collaborate and work effectively in a global environment
- Operationalize releases by partnering with Tech operations on capacity planning and operability of the product
- of years - 10+ years
- Type of experience - software design, development & architecture
- Experience in Product companies working on Internet-scale applications is preferred
- Contribution to open-source software, tech blogs, talking at tech conferences, etc.
○ Must have - Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Engineering from premier institutes preferred
- Deep understanding of one or more of Java/Go/Scala/C++. Ability to understand and critique the core library/language constructs.
- Knowledge of processor, memory, network and storage internals.
- Deep understanding of distributed systems including fault modeling, concurrency, isolation, consensus etc.
- Internals of a RDBMS like MySQL
- Conversant with the internals of systems like Kafka, Cassandra/Scylla, Redis, RocksDB, etc
- Working knowledge of hosting and network infrastructure (K8s, Envoy, etc)
- Familiarity with binary serialization protocols like thrift/protobuf/flatbuffers etc
- Familiar with gRPC, HTTP/2, QUIC, etc.
- Troubleshooting memory issues, GC tuning, resource leaks etc.
- Strong problem-solving skills, algorithmic skills and data structures.
- Productionizing machine learning pipelines using Spark/Flink/TensorFlow etc
Managing Engineering team members , inclusive of Development and Quality Assurance teams
and driving new features and functionality to the Interactions Artificial Intelligence Platform
Technically hands on and contributing to the creation of a massively scalable, highly available
SaaS/ PaaS platforms
Be a technical team lead, in addition to people manager, managing and ensuring success of
Provide a clear vision for the team to act on and ensure team members are performing at the
needed level to successfully execute goals.
Effectively manage multiple projects, timelines and initiatives at the same time.
Experience working with all phases of the Software Development Lifecycle – ranging from
architecture and design to implementation and testing.
Troubleshooting and fixing issues
Excellent oral and written communication skills and ability to effectively communicating within
and outside the team
Bring new technical ideas to fruition by prototyping new ideas and transforming research Proof
of Concepts into production ready software
Responsible for hiring and managing a talented team to design, build and ship next generation
Ability to travel – upwards of 20%
Required Skills & Experience:
10+ years of engineering experience working on systems/algorithm-level programming in
Experience with SQL and/or NOSQL databases
Experience working on products based on a distributed architecture deployed in multiple geo-
redundant CoLo/Cloud data centres.
3+ years of experience managing, growing and building Dev and QA teams.
Ability to operate in a highly ambiguous, rapidly evolving agile environment.
Leading strong technical teams with a maniacal focus on reliability and scalability
Hands-on manager who can also contribute in code
Knowledge of Linux operating system fundamentals
Experience working with the agile development methodology
Experience working in a fast paced environment
Experience building complex backend products like Speech Recognition Engines, Databases, etc.
Bachelors or Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent qualification
Desired Skils (Good to have):
Prior experience with NLP/voice technologies.
Prior experience with AI and machine learning technologies just as tensorflow, pytorch, and
Experience building real-time conversational systems leveraging SIP, webRTC, websockets, or
Experience with profiling and troubleshooting large scale, concurrent and multi-threaded JVM
based languages (Java)
Experience with asynchronous, event driven architectures
This role will manage a group of developers as well as QA Engineers
Share resume to riya cielhr