ENGINEERING MANAGER @REBEL FOODS
We are surrounded by the world's leading consumer companies led by technology - Amazon for retail, Airbnb for hospitality, Uber for mobility, Netflix and Spotify for entertainment, etc. Food & Beverage is the only consumer sector where large players are still traditional restaurant companies. At Rebel Foods, we are challenging this status quo as we are building the world's most valuable restaurant company on the internet, superfast.
The opportunity for us is immense due to the exponential growth in the food delivery business worldwide which has helped us build 'The World's Largest Internet Restaurant Company' in the last few years. Rebel Foods current presence in 7 countries (India, Indonesia, UAE, UK, Malaysia, Singapore, Bangladesh) with 15 + brands and 3500+ internet restaurants has been build on a simple system - The Rebel Operating Model.
While for us it is still Day 1, we know we are in the middle of a revolution towards creating never seen before customer-first experiences. We bring you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to disrupt the 500-year-old industry with technology at its core.
We urge you to refer to the below to understand how we are changing the restaurant industry before applying at Rebel Foods.
https://medium.com/faasos-story/winning-the-last-frontier-for-consumer-internet-5f2a659c43db" target="_blank">link 3
https://medium.com/faasos-story/winning-the-last-frontier-for-consumer-internet-5f2a659c43db" target="_blank">link 4
Engineering History @ Rebel
In order to understand more about the challenges that you might face at Rebel, it’s important that we go back to the inception and get acquainted about our journey to date. From the times when excel sheets served as our POS system at stores having one brand, to our evolution as a company that uses smart kitchens - we have traversed the phone, web, and app channels over time. From being a single brand restaurant, we moved to be a parent company with a dozen restaurant brands under the umbrella, while simultaneously moving our operations from a single kitchen to more than 300 locations across 30 cities in India and in a few international locations. The team of engineers at Rebel has built one of the most unique platforms in the world that can not only help operate a kitchen with multiple brands but also aids in operating business at scale. To give you additional perspective, the team has built more than 40+ products in the last 4.5 years. The innovation spans through technologies like polygon architecture (dynamic delivery radius) for a multi-brand operation from a kitchen, to managing each step of the kitchen ops — queuing, load/prep time, batching of orders, out of the door algorithms; inventory prediction based on consumption data, personal
recommendation engine, deep integration with every aggregator, last-mile delivery app, CRM systems, multiple brand websites and apps, reporting and analytics systems, and more. Everything that was mentioned has been built on a tech stack developed by our Engineers. This enabled us to tackle the massive complexity of a multi-brand operation while keeping all parts of the business supremely efficient and optimized.
Future of Engineering @ Rebel
We are now building Engineering 2.0 at our company. The vision is to make technology the Brain (AI, Machine Learning, analytics to drive every business decision of the company), the Body (robotics led automation at our Kitchens, driving tremendous operational efficiency), and the Mind ( building an AI/ ML-driven virtual personal butler for customers across app, web, and voice, like Netflix of food) at Rebel. This will mean working across technologies and product/engineering teams to build solutions that would be “first - time” in the world. Engineering @ Rebel will break new grounds.
An opportunity to revolutionize the restaurant industry
Here, at Rebel Foods, we are using technology and automation to disrupt the traditional food industry. We are focused on building an operating system for Cloud Kitchens - using the most innovative technologies - to provide the best food experiences for our customers.
You will enjoy working with us, if:
- You are passionate about solving customer problems using people, processes and technology
- You are an engineer at heart, obsessed with high quality software
- You have a flair for good technical and organizational design
- You are unafraid of making bold decisions to eliminate inefficiencies and improving the velocity of software development
- You are an owner and take responsibility for outputs and outcomes
- You are willing to dive deep to solve complex software issues
- You are a teacher and mentor
Our technology ecosystem:
- Frameworks and environments: Spring Boot, NodeJS, ExpressJS
- Databases: AWS Aurora MySQL, MongoDB
- Cloud: AWS
- Microservices, Service Oriented Architecture, REST APIs, Caching, Messaging, Logging, Monitoring and Alerting
- CI/CD and DevOps
- Bitbucket, Jira
You will mostly spend time on the following:
- Leading a team of software engineers; owning and developing the roadmap to support your long term vision for the services and conducting tactical execution at the same time
- Hiring, mentoring and coaching your direct reports to be the best they can be, both in their current roles and in their careers
- Liaising with product, business and leadership teams to ensure business priorities are met
- Continuously improving management and engineering processes. Planning, estimating projects and tasks and ensuring software development best practices are being followed
- Working closely with engineers on day to day activities, including writing, reviewing and troubleshooting code
- Owning services, and managing ongoing features, fixes, and daily operations of services
- Teaching and mentoring team members
We’re excited about you if you have:
- At least 15 years of experience in software development, including experience building microservices and distributed systems
- Built and led high performing engineering teams
- Experience working with complex, high traffic, and consumer facing distributed platforms
- Proven engineering knowledge and experience
- The ability to operate at a managerial level as well as diving deep and getting your hands dirty when required
- Experience in establishing software development processes and practices; A track record of good project planning and execution
- Good communication skills, both in person and via the keyboard
- Made decisions that impacted technical design, development and planning for one or more projects / programs that impacted multiple teams or functions.
- Experience working in Cloud environments: AWS or Azure or GCP
- Experience building secure, configurable, observable services
- Excellent troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- The ability to mentor and teach junior and senior engineers
- The ability to collaborate effectively within and across engineering, product and business teams
About Rebel Foods
At Rebel Foods, we are challenging this status quo as we are building the world's most valuable restaurant company on the internet, superfast. The opportunity for us is immense due to the exponential growth in the food delivery business worldwide which has helped us build 'The World's Largest Internet Restaurant Company' in the last few years. Rebel Foods current presence in 7 countries (India, Indonesia, UAE, UK, Malaysia, Singapore, Bangladesh) with 15 + brands and 3500+ internet restaurants has been built on a simple system - The Rebel Operating Model. While for us it is still Day 1, we know we are in the middle of a revolution towards creating never seen before customer-first experiences. We bring you a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to disrupt the 500-yearold industry with technology at its core.
Here, at Rebel Foods, we are using technology and automation to disrupt the traditional food industry. We are focused on building an operating system for Cloud Kitchens - using the most innovative technologies - to provide the best food experiences for our customers.
• Popular hosts set up the talent hunts (across genres like comedy, dance, dating & fashion)
• Contestants send in their video entries, and
• Audiences ‘actively consume’ content by playing judge, predicting winners among other
modes of engagement
Expectations from the role:
• Hands-on product building- The engineering lead would need to be hands on with the
product building while mentoring the team
Given that this is pre- PMF, attention to detail and focus on user experience are important
facets of the role.
• Ability to build teams- Ability to build missionary teams would become important as we scale the team to 10 members and beyond.
• Technical leadership- Engineering excellence by building systems that scale well along with the business. Typically comes with experience in having scaled systems in the 1 to 10 phase of another startup/business.
• Strategy- Be a thought partner to the founding team on product strategy while bringing tech innovations to improve the product experience.
• Experience: 6+ years in building consumer tech products (B2C)
• Scale: Should have been part of a scaling journey at another B2C startup/business
• People mentorship: Should have formally or informally led teams of at least 3-4 members
• Startup: Any prior experience in working with or trying to build her/his own startup is a big bonus
The entire development lifecycle of all our consumer applications
Working closely with the Product, QA, UX & Engineering teams on strategy, solutioning and execution.
Managing everyday activities of the consumer engineering team
Working closely with the core platform engineering teams to design seamless integration
Owning management and execution of features and ensure delivery timelines
Building & mentoring the consumer engineering team
Working with the overall leadership team in creating and driving the company vision and it’s goals
8+ years of experience designing and developing complex, interactive consumer applications
Working with / managing both mobile and web applications
Ability to present complex technical information clearly and concisely to a variety of audiences
At Porter, we are passionate about improving productivity. We want to help businesses, large and small, optimize their last-mile operations and empower them to unleash the growth of their core functions. Last mile delivery logistics is one of the biggest and fastest growing sectors of the economy with a market cap upwards of 50 billion USD and a growth rate exceeding 15% CAGR.Porter is the fastest growing leader in this sector with operations in 14 major cities, a fleet size exceeding 1L registered and 50k active driver partners and a customer base with 3.5M being monthly active. Our industry-best technology platform has raised over 150 million USD from investors including Sequoia Capital, Kae Capital, Mahindra group, LGT Aspada, Tiger Global and Vitruvian Partners.
We are addressing a massive problem and going after a huge market. We’re trying to create a household name in transportation and our ambition is to disrupt all facets of supply chain. At Porter, we’re here to do the best work of our lives.
If you want to do the same and love the challenges and opportunities of a fast paced work environment, then we believe Porter is the right place for you.
This role requires a person to drive the engineering of a set of products by aligning with business and product
stakeholders and building and upskilling a team to aid in this. The responsibilities include:
1. Business and product alignment and planning
• Work closely with business and product stakeholders to understand and align with product initiatives and
• Help shape the engineering requirement by aligning with the product manager and fleshing out concepts
and user flows.
• Formalize business requirements into roadmaps and sprints.
2. Product and system development
• Drive high level modeling and design for projects, also focusing on non-functional aspects, including but
not limited to database design, communication protocols, deployment systems, etc.
• Drive adoption of design frameworks like domain driven design, clean architecture, etc., resulting in a
robust layered architecture.
• Drive good code review practices, using the review process as a mentoring tool to upskill people.
• Ensure test coverage of systems, partly through unit and integration testing, and partly through blackbox
testing by collaborating with the Quality Assurance team, via good testing practices.
3. Project Management
• Drive the execution of the project by delegating tasks effectively.
• Resolve blockers through technical expertise, negotiation and delegation.
• Estimate timelines and ensure adherence to them through effective sync-ups and course corrections.
• Formulate SLAs and oversee their adherence for the various systems, effectively tracking issues and
• Performance monitoring and optimization for systems.
• Drive technical re-design, remodeling and refactoring of systems for robustness and sustainability.
5. Team Management
• Typically manage a team of 3 - 6 members and a portfolio of 3 - 6 products.
• Do periodic assessment of reportees, chart their career growth paths and train them.
• Recruit members into the team by collaborating effectively with the recruitment team.
• Web application frameworks : Ktor, Spring Boot, Ruby on Rails, Node.js, Java Play, AWS Lambda
• Datastores : PostgreSQL, Aerospike, Redis, DynamoDB, Amazon Redshift
• Communication : HTTP, Amazon SQS, Sidekiq, Amazon SNS
• Server management : Amazon ECS, Docker
• Design frameworks : Domain Driven Design, Clean Architecture, Layered Architecture
You will be contributing to products concerning both customers and partner drivers. Product sectors
• Growth : You’ll build tools to help boost user growth on the platform including our industry best
driver on-boarding, training and certification system, referral system, and lead management
• Lifecycle Management : Build tools to help users engage with the platform better, which includes
rewards and recognition module, subscription service, account management tools, partner and
customer wallets and payout modules, and churn detection systems among others.
• Transaction Experience : You’ll help deliver the most delightful booking experience to our
customers and drivers. As part of this team, you’ll be responsible for our core booking system,
pricing and payment systems, location tracking and filtering services, fraud prevention systems,
and in-app ticketing and support among others.
• Fulfilment : As part of the fulfilment team, you’ll work on systems which ensure high degree of
ride fulfilment on the platform. Tools including allocation methodologies and system, dynamic
pricing, dynamic partner routing, and partner re-activation tools among others.
• Enterprise Solutions : You’ll help Porter’s enterprise customers achieve delivery excellence. You’ll
build tools for contract management, fleet management, fleet and route optimisation tools,
alerting and monitoring tools, and analytics suite among others.
• Software engineering experience of greater than or equal to 7 years
• Experience managing a technical team of at least 3 people
• Exposure to consumer facing products
• Strong technical background and ability to contribute to design and review
• Familiarity with our tech stack or an analogous tech stack
We are a technology and innovation company in the fintech space, delivering business accounting software to Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSMEs). With more than 5 Million users across 140 countries, we are one of the fastest growing companies in this space. We take the complexity out of invoicing, inventory management & accounting, making it so simple, such that small businesses can spend less time on manual bookkeeping and spend more time focusing on areas of business that matter.
Vyapar's Engineering team builds the technology platform that eases and digitizes our customers' bookkeeping and enables the transition of cumbersome accounting data from general bookkeeping to a digitized always available resource. We work on areas such as building massive-scale web and mobile applications, engaging user-interfaces, big-data analytics, mobile apps, accounting workflows , inventory-management etc. We are a small focused technology team where each individual has a huge impact. You will have the opportunity to be part of this rapidly growing team and gain exposure to all the parts of a comprehensive fintech platform.
- Technical Guidance: You will provide technical leadership to a team of excellent software engineers; this requires that you have the technical depth to make complex design decisions and the hands-on ability to lead by example.
- Execution and Delivery: You will be expected to instill and follow good software development practices and ensure timely delivery of high-quality products. You should be familiar with agile practices as well as be able to adapt these to the needs of the business, with a constant focus on product quality.
Desired Skills And Requirements
- Technical depth: You have the strong technical competence required to gain credibility. Ability to architect, design and code yourself. Technical experience in building and operating web-based applications. Deep understanding of all layers of the web-stack work (from the client interface to the database.) Knowledge of multiple technology stacks/languages/tools and their pros/cons.
- Execution ability: Focus on delivering products in a timely manner with high quality. Familiarity with multiple software development practices and tools, and the proven ability to adapt, champion and institute good practices and tools. You will need to plan, coordinate and oversee the technical and engineering activities of your team. You will be responsible for planning engineering projects and overseeing the efficient running of projects, including providing supervision and guidance to other engineers.
- You must have a degree in Computer Science or a related field. Strong understanding of object-oriented programming, concurrency and fundamentals of computer-science.
- Total of 9+ years' experience building cutting edge products. Deep experience in building very large scale applications and 2 + years' experience in team management
- Strong problem solving skills, data structures and algorithms.
About The Role:
You'll grow and mentor an engineering team in the Hyderabad office, responsible for developing the external platform that ties Notion to the entire ecosystem of 3rd party applications, ranging from core Notion concepts to tighter bespoke integrations. You’ll work with your team to ship key platform features to all Notion users, from individuals to large enterprises. You’ll facilitate the collaboration of the team with the Notion San Francisco / New York offices, leveraging your technical judgment, managerial experience, and command of engineering best practices to collaborate and deliver high quality, effective, and delightful software.
What You'll Achieve:
- You'll recruit, coach, and develop a diverse and inclusive team of engineers; you'll ensure your team is regularly receiving feedback and making rapid progress on personal and professional goals.
- You'll facilitate planning—the prioritization, sequencing, and staffing of work—for your team.
- You'll ensure your team builds, ships, and maintains powerful and engaging features for a global Notion user base.
- You'll collaborate closely with peers from other functions—Marketing, Partnerships, Support, and Sales, to name a few—on our overall platform strategy, ongoing maintenance and support, and rolling out features to a broad set of audiences: third-party developers, integration partners, enterprise customers, and end users.
- You'll play a key role in shaping how Notion Hyderabad’s engineering office operates —you’ll bear responsibility for continuously improving our technical practices, recruiting and onboarding strategy, planning and prioritization process, and more.
Skills You'll Need to Bring:
- You are able to create team environments that are at once collaborative, empowering, supportive, and challenging—ones where engineers do their best work.
- You have a sufficiently deep background in product and technology that you can ask the right questions of your team, balance product, tech, and people concerns, and make hard tradeoffs.
- You are able to coordinate goals and projects that depend on a global engineering team, and drive towards a high quality bar.
- You have a high tolerance for ambiguity and change - you enjoy jumping into whatever areas need attention and learning as-you-go.
- You value empathetic and direct communication, particularly when giving and receiving feedback.
Nice to Haves:
- You have managed engineering teams at startups before, particularly during periods of rapid growth and organizational change.
- You have experience working on public-facing APIs, app ecosystems, and developer-facing products.
- You've heard of computing pioneers like Ada Lovelace, Douglas Engelbart, Alan Kay, and others—and understand why we're big fans of their work.
Our customers come from all walks of life and so do we. We hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it's the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm for small businesses, you will find a home at Notion.
Notion is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristic. Notion considers qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. Notion is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please let your recruiter know.
Roles & Responsibilities:
The candidate is expected to create and lead a team of engineers and drive dev efforts for
Medibuddy and its various products.
The candidate will be part of the Engineering leadership team (IIT/IIM grads) and will help
strategise, execute product roadmap.
Work closely with Product and business teams to strategize or design the features and
Lead a team of 10+ Engineers [backend and/or mobile]
Responsible for engineering delivery in platform & product engineering pods at Medibuddy.
Scale the technology architecture, team and product to drive a 10x growth in next 12-24
Code and Architect key features that form backbone of DocsApp
Conduct performance reviews and mentor and guide the team reporting
Drive adoption best engineering practices in the team and the organization
- Deliver high quality, scalable and maintainable code at a fast pace.Skills & Qualifications:
- 9+ yrs. relevant experience in consumer tech/ or SaaS space.
- Tier 1 background (IIT/BITS/IIIT/NIT), Pass-out from 2014 batch or earlier.
Strong Technical Background: You have strong programming, architecture, DevOps and QA
chops. You should have experience working with a diverse engineering stack in a fast-paced
Biased toward action. You must be able to do more with less and turn would-be blockers into
opportunities for growth.
Balancing Short Term with Long Term - You have demonstrated strategic execution
balancing short term tactical execution with long term vision. You should be able to adapt
quickly as per the demands of the situation.
Efficient Execution - You must be persuasive, patient, compassionate and possess exquisite
Prior management and team-building experience. You'll be managing several direct reports
initially and will have the opportunity to scale and build out a high-performing engineering
Stakeholder management - You complement product and business owners with finding the
right solutions in a timely manner.
Past entrepreneurial experience is a big plus.
Strong grasp of Nodejs/Python stack
Databases/Datastores : Mysql , Redis / Memcache , MongoDB
- Basic Understanding of Android, iOS, Web Application stacks
- One of SQS, RabbitMQ, SNS
- Familiarity with AWS and its services including RDS, ECS, EBS, Cloudwatch, ELK, Redshift
Nice to have -
Logging : ELK, Cloudwatch.
Protocols : HTTP, XMPP, MQTT, Socket.io, TCP
· Lead an engineering group that comprises of Software development engineers.
· Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to leadership
· Develop the long-term strategy for your solutions and translate that into an achievable road-map/action plan
· Management and execution against project plans and delivery commitments
· Management of staffing, mentoring, growing, and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team.
Lead and inspire high-performing engineering teams to build and scale highly reliable, secure and responsive architecture for all LoveLocal products
Build highly Scalable platforms using Python, ReactJS, NodeJS, Kafka, Distributed Caching, SQL and No SQL Databases
Take full ownership of the people related aspects of the Engineering team engagement, recruiting, retention, compensation, promotions, individual performance management and organizational structure
Should be actively involved in hunting and recruiting new talent
Manage the engineering pipeline at all levels from planning the product implementation with the developers, distributing and managing work of the engineering team and ensure code quality across products and services
Should continuously plan and build for increasing scale of the product and ensure full hygiene of the tech infrastructure and code sanity
Should be the primary point of contact of functional heads for all tech dependencies
Take ownership of overall tech budget, reviewing expenses and planning for future costs
Work closely with CTO and Product Head on the Tech roadmap of the organisation
Become an integral part of the core team and be strongly aligned with the mission and values of the company
8+ years of experience in Software Development with end-end implementation of products (Preferably in a product driven organisation)
Minimum 3 years of experience leading a team of at least 15 developers, either as an EM or a Tech Lead
Should have worked in a well scaled and fast paced working environment (Startups beyond Series B or a major tech organisation)
Comfortable handling multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Well versed with cloud computing and infrastructure management AWS / GCP
Has worked extensively on designing and implementing Microservices architecture
Should have experience working with NoSQL data stores such as MongoDb, Cassandra, HBase, DynamoDB, etc.
Should have experience working with Big Data streaming services such as Kinesis, Kafka, RabbitMQ etc
Should have solid exposure to Web development and have had familiarity working with Android and IOS engineers
Excellent understanding of software engineering practices and Design Patterns
A Bachelors or Masters in Computer Science or equivalent engineering degree from top engineering institutes.
Why are we building Urbancomapny?
Organized service commerce is a large yet young industry in India. While India is a very large market for a home and local services (~USD 50 Billion in retail spends) and expected to double in the next 5 years, there is no billion-dollar company in this segment today.
The industry is bare ~20 years old, with a sub-optimal market architecture typical of an unorganized market - fragmented supply side operated by middlemen. As a result, experiences are broken for both customers and service professionals, each largely relying upon word of mouth to discover the other. The industry can easily be 1.5-2x larger than it is today if the frictions in user and professional's journeys are removed - and the experiences made more meaningful and joyful.
The Urban Company team is young and passionate, and we see a massive disruption opportunity in his industry. By leveraging technology, and a set of simple yet powerful processes, we wish to build a platform that can organize the world of services - and bring them to your finger-tips. We believe there is the immense value (akin to serendipity) in bringing together customers and professionals looking for each other. In the process, we hope to impact the lives of millions of service entrepreneurs, and transform service commerce they way Amazon transformed product commerce.
Job Description :
Urbancompany has grown 3x YOY and so as our tech stack. Over the last 5 years in the Urbancompany journey, we have grown from a single monolith to 65 microservices. We deliver throughout off around 100Mn/day with around 20 DB clusters carrying 15 TB of Data. We adopted platform thinking pretty at the very early stage of UC. We started building central platform teams who are dedicated solve for core engineering problems around 2-3 years ago and now it has evolved to a full-fledged vertical. Out platform vertical majorly includes Data Engineering, Service and Core Platform, Infrastructure, and Security. We are looking for an Engineering Manager for Core Platform teams currently. A person who loves solving standardization, have strong platform thinking, opinions, and really understand the pain of software development at scale are more than welcome to join us.
- Building high octane teams with high opinions and strong platform thinking
- Working on complex design and architectural problems.
- Visioning out the roadmap and thought process behind taking current tech stack to next level
- Building and maintaining the high NPS of 70% of platform products
- Strong decision-maker with hands-on experience
- Think about abstractions, systems and services and write high-quality code.
- Have an understanding of loopholes in current systems/architecture that can potentially break in the future and push towards solving them with other stakeholders.
- Think through complex architecture to build robust platforms to serve together all the categories and flows, solve for scale, and work on internally build services to cater to our growing needs.
- At least 1-2+ Years of experience in managing teams
- 5-8 years of experience in the industry solving complex problems from scratch and have graduate/post-graduate degrees from top-tier universities.
- A thinker with strong opinions and the ability to get those opinions into reality
- Prior experience of creating complex systems in the past.
- Ability to build scalable, sustainable, reliable, and secure products based on past experience and leading teams and projects by themselves.
- Ability to bring new practices, architectural choices, and new initiatives onto the table to make the overall tech stack more robust.
- History and familiarity with server-side architecture based on APIs, databases, infrastructure, and systems.
- Ability to own the technical road map for systems/components.
What can you expect?
- A phenomenal work environment, with massive ownership and growth opportunities.
- A high performance, high-velocity environment at the cutting edge of growth.
- Strong ownership expectation and freedom to fail.
- Quick iterations and deployments – fail-fast attitude.
- Opportunity to work on cutting edge technologies.
- The massive, and direct impact of the work you do on the lives of people.