The B2B manufacturing industry has a lack of digitisation globally. NowPurchase is building layers of technology to help improve the productivity and profits of the manufacturer. For this we are building the OS (Operating System) that will seamlessly connect factory equipment such as furnaces and spectrometers to our software systems that provide real time optimisations.
The end-game is to use this interconnected system to do great production planning and autonomous procurement of their raw materials. The Heart of NowPurchase will be a marketplace consisting of these smart factories and raw material suppliers.
Here a video that explains our product journey:
This is fully a remote role, but the employer needs to fly down to the office in Kolkata for 5–6 days every month. Plane tickets and accommodation will be reimbursed by the company.
NowPurchase is looking to add an immensely talented Senior Backend Engineer that will help us invent, design, refine and deliver products that will meet the above vision.
- Expect to build a lot of services and APIs in the cloud and stand-alone IoT devices to serve both the browser as well as native IoT enabled terminals that will be placed at the manufacturers' premises.
- Expect designing algorithms that model the metallurgy of the manufacturing processes as well as using tools such as linear programming, machine learning etc.
- You need to lead the backend team to make sure they are delivering high quality code and is constantly inspired to experiment with tools to push out MVPs.
What are the expectations from this role?
- Deliver high quality modular code deployed to serve web, mobile and native IoT enabled terminals that leverage REST-based services and real time sockets. This would include algorithms for real time optimizations that are critical for the manufacturing process.
- You are empowered to work directly with leadership and the product team to make decisions about your code and future of the product.
- Have a strong emphasis on shipping features quickly without sacrificing code quality. Be ready to build a lot of MVPs that will go through iteration or be completely scrapped depending on the outcome at the customer end.
- Own your Agile projects and lead the team from software design to implementation and deployment. Maintain sprints, delivery timelines and contribute to better managing the engineering team.
- Collaborate on the end to end design and implementation of the platform, including data modeling, systems architecture, data security, access controls, architecture, user experience, deployment, automation, and monitoring.
- Maintain a high level of data integrity, quality and security checks.
- Develop data pipelines and RESTful services that are distributed, robust and highly performant.
- Build a culture of simplicity and pragmatism, which is reflected in your elegant code that other developers emulate and you ensure through thorough code reviews and processes.
Qualifications and Experience
- 4+ years of demonstrated software engineering experience in an agile environment designing, architecting and implementing robust scalable systems preferably for modern SaaS application
- 1+ years of technical leadership experience
- Experience with modern server-side programming languages such as Python, Scala, Go. Experience with web frameworks such as Django Rest Framework, Flask.
- Experience with architecting asynchronous services with design patters leveraging PostgreSQL, MongoDB, Redis, Celery for storage and multi-tenant servers over AWS Elastic BeanStalk.
Compensation & Benefits
- **Cash Compensation:** As per industry standards & pedigree of candidate
- **ESOPs:** 10% of NowPurchase is dedicated to current & future team members. Your package would entail some ESOPs so that you own a part of the company and grow along with it.
- **Medical Insurance:** Benefits of group insurance of 3 lakhs for family including parents, spouse, children
- **Generous leave structure and WFHs** including Marriage, Maternity & Paternity leaves
- **Complete Relocation Expenses:** We are building a unicorn out of the city of Joy (Kolkata). We will pay for everything you spend to relocate here.
**Possible Growth path**
Senior Backend End Engineer > Engineering Manager > VP of Engineering
- Git, AWS, ELB (Elastic Beanstalk), Netlify
## **Hiring Process**
1. Screening of applicants & initial telephonic call with Manager -HR
2. F2F/Video Interview with Engineering Manager and Cofounder CTO
3. Take home written assessment
4. F2F/Video Interview with Cofounder CEO
5. Email communication on final feedback
The end to end process shall take less than 10 days. We pride ourselves on being transparent & moving fast.
*Candidates who accept an offer may join within 1 hour, 1 week or up to 45days of signing - though, we have a preference for as short a gap period between signing and joining since we're at the most exciting part of our journey - laying the foundation for the NowPurchase platform!*
About The Team
We are striving to create the best productivity tools which will help small businesses to go online and scale their growth consistently with the bleeding edge of technology. Our backend team is looking for a solid Rockstar engineer who can hack around multiple technologies and build highly scalable, low latency, distributed systems. You will work closely with our product team to build new and compelling experiences for our customers!
We place special emphasis on the continuous growth of each team member - and we do this with regular 1-1s and open communication. As Software Engineer - Backend, you will be part of self-starters who thrive on teamwork and constructive feedback.
About The Role
As a Software Engineer - Backend, you will solve real-life complex problems and create compelling experiences for our users. In this role, you will ensure that the solutions and processes that we create are of the highest quality. And in doing so, you will champion a seamless app experience for all our users. You will also collaborate with your fellow engineers to create scalable solutions that are pertinent to Product IO's overall growth.
If you are confident about solving hard, interesting and UNIQUE problems, and creating an impact within an entrepreneurial environment, then you might just be our next Software Engineer - Backend
What You'll Do:
- Lead, build, test, and release mobile application features using cross-platform tools.
- Collaborate with the front-end team to expose weaknesses and problems
- Build out our APIs and tools using Python & Firebase libraries on the backend.
- Experience with NodeJS and deployment in Serverless
- Experience with NoSql(MongoDB) and SQL(PostregSQL)
- Work closely with Product, Design, Platform, and other cross-functional groups to drive product vision.
- Previous experience helping shape API structures and building REST APIs.
- Understanding of accessibility and server compliance (GCP)
- 2+ years professional software development experience, preferably mobile apps with a cloud backend. Example projects in (Python, Firebase)
- 6 months experience in Google Cloud Platform
- Excellent communication skills are a must, and experience with estimating and managing project tasks is important, too
- Highly driven, naturally curious, and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment
- 1+ years of experience in developing Firebase apps.
- Experience in developing or designing APIs and web applications.
- Deployment in Cloud Environment.
- Familiarity with Flutter.
Why join us:
- 👫 A fast-moving, fun, growth-oriented company made up of skillful team players
- 💬 Transparent, open, and collaborative work environment
- 🌟 An opportunity to work closely with a proven executive team, board, and serial entrepreneurs
You will break down business opportunities and problems into software solutions. You will work closely with the CTO to help product and marketing stakeholders distill the product vision and roadmap, into a technology vision. You will be responsible for the evolution of an already bleeding-edge highly distributed systems at the back-end, and would need to work withfront-end architects to come up with the best user experience for the gaming platform. You will be required to make decisions quickly, and work under strict timelines. You would lead technology strategy through analysis of market trends and product requirements. You would help set coding guidelines and help bring the most modern tools to keep engineering processes most efficient.
● B.E/MS in Computer Science or equivalent.
● 10+ years or more of progressive software technology experience with at least 3 years
in an architectural role.
● Completely hands on with technology and architecture. Start-up experience is a huge
● Ability to quickly prototype and demonstrate technology value adds and educate + drive
adoption within the extended technology team
● Excellent and robust understanding of scalable product system architecture(s),
platforms and core technologies
● Demonstrated problem-solving and leadership skills to pursue correct engineering
process in adverse conditions. Ability to embrace and demonstrate leadership beyond
● Work with engineering leadership to setup and manage processes.
● Track record of thought leadership and out of the box thinking in the technology arena.
● Ability to work efficiently in an entrepreneurial and in a start-up environment
● Deep and hands on knowledge of some of these technologies - MySQL, NodeJS,
message brokers such as Kafka/RabbitMQ, NoSQL datastore such as Mongo, Cassandra,
Arango, distributed caches such as Redis/memcached, container technology such as
Docker and Kubernetes etc.
● Great proficiency in distributed systems design, with an ability to make the right
trade-offs for creating future-proof solutions.
● Building quick PoCs and full-fledged solutions with various AWS managed services would
be a big plus.
We are looking for a ROR developer. If you're a creative problem solver who is eager to develop amazing products and hungry for a new adventure, a word class workplace is waiting for you.
- Production experience in Ruby.
- A completed technical degree in Computer Science or any related fields.
- 3+ years of professional product development experience.
- Being comfortable with microservices architectures, API-based
- You are a pragmatic programmer who understands what is needed to get things done.
- Problem solving and collaborative mindset.
- Experience working with DevOps (Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform).
- Experience with AWS (RDS, DDB, Lambda, CW, EC2, SQS, SNS, Cognito, Kinesis).
- Experience with performance improvements (Caching Techniques, SQL Query Optimization, Performance monitoring and profiling.
- Deep understanding of service-oriented and microservices architectural patterns, troubleshooting methods and best practices.
- Takes end to end ownership of the development and operation of complete features.
framework and Django Rest framework. The suitable candidate for us will meet the
following criteria -
1. Candidates must have at least 1 year of experience in working with Python,
Django and Django Rest framework.
2. Candidates must have knowledge of Redis and Celery.
3. Candidates must have a solid grasp on data structures and algorithms to
provide the most optimal solution to the given task.
4. Candidates must have an excellent understanding of restful APIs.
5. Candidates must have experience in writing unit test cases.
6. Candidates must be capable of identifying edge cases for the functionality to
7. Candidates must have a good understanding of RDBMS concepts.
8. Candidates must have excellent knowledge of designing database schemas.
9. Candidates must have excellent communication skills.
The position requires an experienced and ambitious candidate who is passionate about technology and is self-driven. We have a challenging workplace where we welcome innovative ideas and offers growth opportunities and positive environment for accomplishing goals. Our purpose is to create abundance for everyone we touch.
- Experience on Open Source Platforms in designing/ developing Web-based applications.
- Require Strong knowledge in Python with application/package/module development, tuning, and debugging tools.
- Proficient understanding of Python Identifiers, Reserved Words, Basic Operators, Variable Types, and User defined exception handling with their usage.
- In-depth knowledge of Python Dictionary and default modules included in Python (String, DateTime, Numbers, and other required functions usage).
- Proficient understanding of Sequences and its differences (Tuples/Lists).
- File manipulation-using Python (Create, Edit, and Delete view file).
- Ability to organize code logically and with the understandable procedure that is well defined, documented, and testable.
- Strong understanding of OOPS and Design Patterns (Code design skills in Python-based object-oriented programming and functional programming).
- Developing Web Applications with Python - Hands on experience using MVC frameworks like Django.
- Exposure to Code Versioning Systems such as Atlassian Bitbucket.
- The candidate must display excellent written and verbal skills with demonstrated interpersonal and organizational abilities.
● 3+ years of experience with React.js, React Native and Node.js
● Experience in building and deploying a mobile application using React Native.
● A sound understanding of Redux/Flux, Webpack, ES6, Jest.
● Must have hands on experience in Restful APIs
● Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions,
conclusions or approaches to problems
● Ability to ship features on a weekly basis: should be good at time management and
● Hands-on experience in CI/CD principles and TDD
● Strong written and verbal English communication skills
● Understand the business context and build high quality code using proven design and
● Develop, test and deploy integrations required to meet business requirements
● Carry out unit tests and other quality control mechanisms to inform and validate the code and
● Utilizing and monitoring cloud infrastructure resources (such as AWS, Azure) efficiently
● Participate in a highly fluid environment applying agile software development principles
● Ensure the coding standards are on-par with the best in the industry