Jobs at Tide
As a Senior Data Engineer part of the data team, you will be responsible for running the data systems and services that monitor and report on the end to end Data infrastructure. We are heavily dependent on Snowflake, Airflow, Fivetran, Looker for our business intelligence and embrace AWS as a key partner across our engineering teams. You will report directly in the Head of Data Engineering and work closely with our ML Engineering and Data science Team.
Some of the things you’ll be doing:
- Integration of additional data sources into our Snowflake Data Warehouse using Fivetran or custom code
- Building infrastructure that helps our analysts to move faster, such as adding tests to our CI/CD systems
- Designing, developing, and implementing scalable, automated processes for data extraction, processing, and analysis
- Maintaining an accurate log of the technical documentation for the warehouse
- Troubleshooting and resolving technical issues as they arise
- Ensuring all servers and applications are patched and upgraded in a timely manner
- Looking for ways of improving both what and how services are delivered by the department
- Building data loading services for the purpose of importing data from numerous, disparate data sources, inclusive of APIs, logs, relational, and non-relational databases
- Working with the BI Developer to ensure that all data feeds are optimised and available at the required times. This can include Change Capture, Change Data Control and other “delta loading” approaches
- Discovering, transforming, testing, deploying and documenting data sources
- Applying, help defining, and championing data warehouse governance: data quality, testing, coding best practises, and peer review
What you’ll get in return:
- Competitive Salary
- Family & Self Health Insurance
- Life & Accidental Insurance
- 25 days annual leaves
- We invest in your development with professional L&D budget (fixed amount of 40,000 per year)
- Flexible working options
- Share Options
You’ll be a great fit if:
- You have 4+ years of experience in Data Engineering
- You have extensive development in Building ELT pipelines (Snowflake added advantage )
- You have experience in building data solutions, both batch processes and streaming applications
- You have extensive experience in designing , architecting and implementing best Data Engineering practices
- You have good experience in Data Modelling
- You have extensive experience in writing SQL statements and performance tuning them
- You have experience in data mining, data warehouse solutions, and ETL, and using databases in a business environment with large-scale, complex datasets
- You have experience architecting analytical databases
- You have experience working in a data engineering or data warehousing team
- You have high development standards, especially for code quality, code reviews, unit testing, continuous integration and deployment
- You have strong technical documentation skills and the ability to be clear and precise with business users
- You have business-level of English and good communication skills
- You have knowledge of various systems across the AWS platform and the role they play e.g. Lambda, DynamoDB, CloudFormation, Glue
- You have experience with Git and Docker
- You have experience with with Snowflake, dbt, Apache Airflow, Python, Fivetran, AWS, git and Looker
Who are Tide?
We’re the UK’s leading provider of smart current accounts for sole traders and small companies. We’re also on a mission to save business owners time and money on their banking and finance admin so they can get back to doing what they love - for too long, these customers have been under-served by the big banks.
Our offices are in London, UK, Sofia, Bulgaria and Hyderabad, India, where our teams are dedicated to our small business members, revolutionising business banking for SMEs. We are also the leading provider of UK SME business accounts and one of the fastest-growing fintechs in the UK.
We’re scaling at speed with a focus on hiring talented individuals with a growth mindset and ownership mentality, who are able to juggle multiple and sometimes changing priorities. Our values show our commitment to working as one team, working collaboratively to take action and deliver results. Member first, we are passionate about our members and put them first. We are data-driven, we make decisions, creating insight using data.
We’re also one of LinkedIn’s top 10 hottest UK companies to work for.
Here’s what we think about diversity and inclusion…
We build our services for all types of small business owners. We aim to be as diverse as our members so we hire people from a variety of backgrounds. We’re proud that our diversity not only reflects our multicultural society but that this breadth of experience makes us awesome at solving problems. Everyone here has a voice and you’ll be able to make a difference. If you share our values and want to help small businesses, you’ll make an amazing Tidean.
A note on the future of work at Tide:
Tide’s offices are beginning to open for Tideans to return on a voluntary basis. Timelines for reopening will be unique for each region and will be based on region-specific guidelines. The health and well-being of Tideans and candidates is our primary concern, therefore, for the foreseeable future, we have transitioned all interviews and onboarding to be conducted via Zoom.
Once offices are fully open, Tideans will be able to choose to work from the office or remotely, with the requirement that they visit the office or participate in face-to-face team activities several times per month.
Responsibilities for Staff Engineer role:
- Having experience in Java along with Springboot, Micorservices, RDBMS
- Experience required: 6yrs to 8 yrs.
Responsibilities for Staff Engineer role:
- Having experience in Java/Python/Golang along with Springboot, Micorservices, RDBMS
- Experience required: 10yrs to 15 yrs.
You, as a Java Engineer and member of this team, would be working on our new and existing projects for our credit, payments, business services, member engagement or financial crime areas. We have a five years roadmap ahead of us with exciting new features and we’ll need you to solve interesting problems. Your fellow team members will get you up to speed in your business area and will help you develop the skills so that eventually you are the one coaching other new joiners. Joining one of our expanding agile teams, you will be required to work closely with product owners, mobile engineers, and other business members to translate requirements into well-engineered solutions.
You will ideally join our backend Community of Practices, learn from them and eventually propose your own to maintain a high quality across the backend. Career progression is as important to you as it is for us. With our expanding teams and business we will encourage you to outgrow your initial responsibilities. This role offers an exceptional opportunity to make a real difference with responsibilities across engineering practices in a rapidly expanding company!
About the Tech
Technology and our people is what makes Tide possible. We work in autonomous teams where backend, iOS, Android, web, QA, DevOps, agile coaches, data experts and product owners solve difficult problems together to get the job done. We self-organise and discuss technical challenges and set our own guidelines in the different Community of Practices.
On the backend we see Java 8 as legacy and use Java 11+ for our micro-services. We provide RESTful APIs to our colleagues in the frontend, but also use gRPC for internal service-to-service communications. Spring Boot is our work horse, but we are open to new experiments. We are cloud-native and run everything on AWS. You’ll see containers (Docker), queues (SNS+SQS) and events everywhere. The nature of our business naturally fits with relational databases, but we have also found some use cases for NoSQL.
Our frontends have done an incredible job at consuming our APIs and providing the best UX to our members. They are fully native Android and iOS apps or Angular 2+ web apps. DevOps provides vital infrastructure and operations support.
We’re an international scale up, we’re busy! If fast paced environments, cross team exposure, inquisitive freedom and the ability to have a real impact on a rapidly growing scale up appeals to you, then you already have the mind of a Tidean. If you have that along with the following experience, we’d love to hear from you.
- Good commercial experience building server-side applications and detailed knowledge of the relevant programming languages for your stack (i.e Java 8 or newer).
- Sound knowledge of a Java backend framework (e.g. Spring/Spring Boot).
- Exposure to microservices and implementing and consuming RESTful APIs.
- A mindset of delivering secure, well-tested and well-documented software.
- Experience with relational databases.
The highly desirables:
- Exposure to continuous integration, delivery and deployment.
- Some experience integrating to third parties.
- Comfortable working in agile methodologies, ideally Scrum.
- Exposure to common development tools such as IntelliJ, Git, Jira, etc.
Tide is the leading provider of UK SME business accounts and one of the fastest growing FinTechs in the UK. That’s not an unfounded boast - we have over 200,000 members (what we like to call our customers, over two percent market share, and have raised over £120m in funding.
SMEs have been underserved and overlooked by traditional banks for years. In an entrepreneurial age where everyone is expected to take a shot, traditional banks have not evolved with the needs of the market. That’s where Tide comes in. With quick on-boarding, low fees and innovative features, we thrive on making data driven decisions to help SMEs save both time and money.
We’re also one of LinkedIn’s top 10 hottest UK companies to work for, winner of Best Use of Technology (Growth Finance Awards); Best Banking Provider (Contracting Awards); Innovative Product of the Year (Growth Finance Awards) and we’re listed in the Top 100 FinTech Disruptors and The Startups 100. And that’s just for 2019.
People hiring at Tide
About the company
PinkBlue is an IIM/IIT alumni start-up in the healthcare supplies space. We operate the largest B2B e-commerce platform for clinical supplies in India, and offer a SaaS solution for clinics and hospitals to manage their inventory and purchases out of a single window. In simple terms, clinics and hospitals across the country buy their raw materials from us. We are focused on solving the supplychain efficiency problem, which leads to 25-30% wastage in the space, by bringing in enterprise process automations and high-end analytics, which would be a first for the industry globally. We are working towards building a fully automated, integrated supplychain solution, which ensures the highest levels of efficiency, while demanding zero effort from every other stakeholder. As we get there, we should be able to have a significant impact on the healthcare costs in the country.
We are the front-runners in this space in terms of the quality and size of the team, the number of customers and suppliers we work with, and in thought leadership. We are an important part of the raising B2B e-commerce wave in India, and have a large market opportunity in front of us. We understand that continuously attracting rockstar talent in every facet of the business, be it Technology, Operations, Marketing, Business Development, Strategy or anyother focus area, is a critical step in ensuring we attain our potential of becoming a $1 Bn business over the next 5-7 years. If you have an entrepreneurial bent of mind, enjoy start-up environments, and want to change the world, you might just fit the bill.
About the company
About the company